Snacking can be hard when you can’t have meat, dairy, or even gluten. I’m going to compile a list of my favourite snacks that are vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free. Some snacks will fit all of these categories, but some may not, so be careful to check that the snack is suitable for you before trying it!
1) Seaweed Thins/Crisps - These are an acquired taste, but I think they are absolutely lovely. They are a really tasty savoury snack, that is not only vegan and gluten free, but extremely healthy too. Seaweed thins have a nice crunch, and snap just like any crisp. You can get single packs of packs of three together, and usually there are twelve seaweed thins within each individual pack. Sea Salt, Wasabi, and Sweet Soy and Sea Salt, are the flavours available. I’d recommend sticking with Sea Salt on your first try, as Wasabi is a very strong taste that not everyone likes. Sweet Soy is also quite pleasant to most people. Itsu and Clearspring both create these products. You can buy them from most supermarkets and health food stores.
2) Urban Fruit - Urban Fruit sell packets of gently baked fruit that can convert even the most fruit-despising people to like fruit. Strawberry is my personal favourite, though they also produce raspberries and mangos, among other fruits. Gently baking the fruit makes the fruit become almost like a gummy sweet. They are a very easy way of eating one of your five a day, and really yummy snack. You can buy them at Sainsburys and health food shops.
3) Nakd Lemon Drizzle Bar - Nakd do a wide range of these bars, and they are increasingly sold in major supermarkets. These bars are vegan and also gluten free, making them suitable for all. Though - if you have a nut allergy, be wary, as these bars often contain nuts. Lemon Drizzle is one of my favourites of these bars, and it honestly tastes as though it could be a delicious slice of lemon drizzle cake. Despite this, it is made entirely from natural ingredients; cashews, coconut, dates, and more. One of these yummy little bars counts as your five a day! So what’s not to love? They are also surprisingly filling, so I’d definitely give them a try!
4) Fruit Bowl Strawberry Flakes - They come in packs in six, and are a really nice sweet snack, and easy way of having one of your five a day. You could also sprinkle these on cereal or porridge for a more exciting breakfast.
5) Bear Yo Yo’s - These are really tasty little rolls of fruit. They come in multiple flavours, strawberry being my favourite, and are available in most supermarkets. I really enjoy these if you need a quick snack but don’t want anything overly filling. They are made of fruit purees, and are naturally vegan and gluten free.