Lots of us enjoy going to the cinema to see a big blockbuster, a romantic comedy, or even an indie film. 2015 has been an excellent year for film so far – we’ve had the sequel to the Avengers, Age of Ultron, as well as some brilliant action comedies like Spy and Kingsman. We’ve also had some much talked about films, like Mad Max: Fury Road and Selma. However, although you can be forgiven for thinking the year in terms of films has already peaked, think again. Here’s a top ten list of upcoming films you absolutely must see.
1. Minions! Everybody loves minions – the bright yellow sidekicks from Despicable Me now have their own movie. If you’re not really a fan, like me, then this film probably isn’t for you. However, if you’re following the trend and are obsessed with them, then it just might be!
2. Ant-Man. This year’s been a big one for Marvel – the aforementioned Avengers: Age of Ultron was arguably the most anticipated film of the year. However, this Marvel film is a lot more lighthearted – it stars comedian Paul Rudd as a superhero only a few inches high.
3. Mr. Holmes comes out very soon. With the recent spike in interest in Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr’s portrayal, as well as the insanely good TV series), perhaps it’s time for a different take on the youthful and lively detective. Ian McKellan plays Sherlock Holmes in his 90s, and the detective’s powers of deduction aren’t what they used to be. If you’re a fan of the books, then this might appeal to you.
4. Terminator Genisys is another one that comes out very soon. If you loved the original movies, this one is a re-make of the 1984 film. It’s not got great reviews from the critics, but Arnold Schwarzenegger is in it this time. If you fancy seeing how/if his acting has changed since being Governor of California, then this might be the film for you.
5. Fantastic Four. Yes, that’s right, they’re making another one. 4 people accidentally end up on another dimension, and gain super powers. It has a great cast, including British actor Jamie Bell. It comes out in early August.
6. Pan is a remake of the Disney film Peter Pan. It stars Hugh Jackman and Amanda Seyfried, among others. However, it’s faced a lot of controversy, because they chose a white actress to play the Native American Tiger Lily. The original depiction of her tribe in the Disney film is incredibly racist, and many people feel that this film has tried to avoid confronting the issue by changing the character’s ethnicity, rather than addressing the problems with the original Disney film.
7. Mastermind. Yet another action comedy, this time the leading actress from Bridesmaids (Kristen Wiig) and Alan from the Hangover star alongside veteran Owen Wilson based on a group of people who used an armoured car to rob a bank.
8. You know Star Wars? Well, there’s another one coming out, after a wait that’s been over a decade long. It doesn’t come out until Christmas, so there’s still some time to wait. It stars Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, who played Hans Solo and Princess Leia in the original films. Yay, Star Wars!
9. If you like television series like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, then the film “The Man from U.N.C.L.E” could be your thing. It’s based on a TV series of the same name from the 1960s, and it stars Hugh Grant and Superman himself – Henry Cavill.
10. Crimson Peak. This one’s designed for a more mature audience, so this only really applies if you’re over 15! It’s a horror movie directed by Guillermo del Toro, but it had a big budget and all-star cast – including Tom Hiddleston and Mia Wasikowska. Definitely worth the trip to the cinema if you like thrillers, period dramas and horror!
Image from: http://www.tvcgroup.com/2015/04/5-films-probably-havent-seen-really/