Thai food is growing in popularity and demand, and these Thai prawn cakes are an easy way to get the flavours of Thai food effectively. Best made for a starter or finger food.
100g Golden Caster Sugar
175ml Rice Vinegar
2 Slices Root Ginger
Handful Chopped Coriander
2 Red Chillies
400g Raw Peeled Prawns
1 Lime, Zested
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 Carrot, Finely Diced
- Heat the sugar and the vinegar with a small pinch of salt in a saucepan until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Bring the pan to the boil and then turn down and let simmer for five minutes until it becomes syrupy. Then leave it to cool.
- Then put the ginger, coriander, half the shallots and half of the chilli in a food processor until they have been blended finely.
- Then add the prawns, lime zest and the fish sauce and then pulse and mix with the food processor.
- Then grind a bit of black pepper over the mix, then pat and shape the mix into six cake shapes. Brush both sides of the cake with a tiny bit of vegetable oil and place them on a baking sheets. Grill the cakes for about three minutes on each side.
- Add the remaining chilli, shallots and chopped carrot to the vinegar syrup and mix them together.
- Serve the cakes warm with the sauce on the side.