This is a recipe for a beef bolognese, but I have often exchanged the beef mince for vegetarian or Quorn mince.
250g Mince (Vegetarian mince may be used as a substitute)
1 tin of tomatoes
1 Garlic Clove
¾ Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
Handful of Basil
1 Beef Stock Cube (and appropriate amount of water)
Handful of Mixed Herbs
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and turn the heat on medium. Add the garlic, having diced it finely, and the sliced onion and any other vegetables you wish to add like carrots or celery.
- Keep stirring the veg in the pan until it begins to soften and cook. Once this begins to happen you can add the mince to the pan, stir continually until it begins to brown in colour.
- Once the meat is brown all over add the tin of tomatoes, the tomato puree, mixed herbs and the beef stock. Mix it all together and turn the heat down really low once it begins to boil and allow it to simmer for about an hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mince has been cooking for 40 minutes heat the water up for the spaghetti. As soon as the water begins to boil add the spaghetti to it and cook.
- When the pasta is almost cooked add the basil to the mince and give it a good stir.
- Once both items are cooked add salt and pepper to taste and then take both off the heat. Shave some parmesan over the top and then serve!