Difficulty Level:- 4 / 5
175g caster sugar
2 ½ lemons (zest from ½ to be used to decorate)
175g self-raising flour
75g icing sugar
1) Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C / gas mark 4.
2) Line an 80cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
3) Mix the butter and caster sugar together in a large bowl.
4) Add the lemon zest from the two lemons and the eggs (a little at a time) and mix thoroughly.
5) Sift the self-raising flour and fold, in a figure of 8, into the mixture.
6) Pour the mixture into the cake tin and put in the oven to bake for 40 minutes, until it turns a golden colour.
7) Leave cake to cool.
8) Make the drizzle by heating the lemon juice from the lemons with the icing sugar, slowly and gently in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved.
9) Prick holes all over the cake with a fork or a toothpick and then pour the syrup over the cake.
10) Leave the cake to cool and then decorate with lemon zest shavings.