As Halloween draws nearer it is time to start thinking of how to keep away all the evil spirits or witches.. OR just to have some fun making lanterns! Although traditionally you are meant to use pumpkins you could also use a melon as it works in the same way!
What you'll need:
A pumpkin/ melon
A sharp knife
Ball of string
What to do:
1. Ask an adult to slice off the top of the pumpkin/melon with the knife, Do not throw it away thoguh as this will be the lid to your lantern.
2. Using the metal spoon to scoop out the inside of the pumpkin, try not to cut throguh the skin of the pumpkin.
3. Next you can start to be creative by cutting our different shapes, you could do a face with a zig zag smile, or moon and stars.. What ever you like!
4. After you have finished carving make two small holes at the sides and thread the string through each one and tie knots at the ends to make a handle.
5. Place your candle in the pumpkin/ melon and light it (carefully) put the lid back on.
There you should have a a perfect halloween lantern!