Who doesn't love Scientific facts? They're useful, they're interersting and they're here, so sit back and enjoy. Some will make you laugh, some will make you say eurghhh and some are just fasicanting. Here's my grand list of Science facts!
- Female elephants are called cows, I know right, they're a bit different. Still if you ever think your milk tastes a bit funny but the packet says cow milk, now you know why!
- Did you know that despite being gigantic the ancient stegosaurus dinosaur's brain was actually the size of a nut (which isn't very big if you were wondering!).
- Kangaroos can't walk backwards because of the way their legs are shaped, if you ever see one walking backwards then snap up a picture because you, my friend, have found some kind of kangaroo hybrid!
- Butterflies can taste their food by standing on it because their taste buds are in their feet! Imagine standing on our food, what a waste of a good sandwich!
- There are two different types of Elephant, African and Indian, and the African ones are considerably larger.
- A wolf hunting alone will target small animals like squirrels and rabbits but in a pack wolves can take on bigger prey like deer. What wusses eh?
- Video games began as arcade machines and grew to include game consoles, handheld systems, computers, mobile phones, and many others also.
- There is even now a virtual reality headset type game that you can play without a controller and feel as though you are in the world with the visual mask you wear rather than using a screen.
- We all take the internet for granted but in fact it only came into existence in the late 1980s/early 1990s, imagine all those poor people that had to find out all their information manually instead of 'googling it'.
- Did you know films like Irobot and Robocop are a lot closer to the near future than we may realise. In 1994 an eight-legged walking robot named Dante ll successfully descends into Mt Spur to collect volcanic gas samples and at present day in 2014 many leading nations have robot soldiers, even if only in a prototype stage!
- Did you know that although mobile phones are useful you should not keep them in your pocket or close to you for too long because they actually emmit alot of radiation!
- Pluto is no longer considered a planet.
- Because Pluto is so far from the sun it is incredibly cold with temperatures that would kill humans.
- Jupiter is the biggest planet in our solar system, it's so big that the Earth could fit in it 1300 times!
- Uranus was actually the first planet discovered by telescope!
- Due to the temporal differences depending on distance from the sun a day is 42 years on Uranus and so is a night! Now that's a long day!
- Mars is home to the biggest Volcano in our solar system, Olympus Mons.
- Despite being named the red planet (which is due to its dusty red rocky surface) Mars is actually quite cold as its clouds are too thin to trap much of the sun's rays.
- Venus is the hottest planet and would inscinerate anything.
- Mercury is the closest planet to the sun and has incredibly hot days but incredibly cold nights, awkward.
I hope you enjoyed my scientific facts, science is fun! Why not comment some of your own facts below?