This is a fantastically French desert that tastes amazing.
Difficulty level:- 5/5
500ml Double Cream
1 Vanilla Pod
100g Caster Sugar
6 Free Range Egg Yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees. Then pour the cream into a saucepan and heat.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into the cream. Then bring the cream to the boil and reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- In a different bowl whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until they are fluffy and pale in colour. Once this has happened bring the cream back up to the boil and pour over the eggs in the bowl.
- Mix continuously until it begins to thicken. Once his has happened strain the mixture through a sieve to get out any lumps and then pour it into six ramekins.
- Then place the ramekins on a big roasting tray and pour hot water around the dishes, up to about half way. This method is called a bain-marie.
- Place the tray into the oven, on the middle shelf and bake for up to 40 minutes. Make sure that the custard has set but isn’t too runny. It should wobble in the centre.
- Take the ramekins out of the tray and allow them to cool to room temperature. Put them in the fridge until you want to serve them.
- When you are ready to serve them sprinkle a teaspoon of caster sugar over the surface of each crème brûlée. Then caramelise under the grill (or, if you have one, use a blow torch)