Everybody loves a bit of chocolate, so there is no harm in indulging every once in a while. But this time instead of just grabbing a bar out of the cupboard, or doing what I usually do and grab a large teaspoon of chocolate spread straight out of the jar why not be creative with your cravings and make a swiss roll with chocolate spread?
Difficulty Level: 5/5
120g Caster Sugar
40g Plain Flour
Pinch of Salt
200g Chocolate Spread (your favourite brand)
50g Plain Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, then separate all the egg yolks from the whites. Then beat the egg yolks, adding the sugar and mixing until it becomes frothy.
- Once this happens mix the flour into the egg and sugar mixture. Then in a separate bowl mix the egg whites and the salt. Once the salt and egg whites have been mixed fold them into the egg, sugar and flour mixture gently.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pour in the mixture, cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Once it is cooked remove it from the oven. Roll up the sponge whilst it is still in the paper and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Once it has cooled, unroll the sponge and taking away the baking paper. Then this is the fun bit. Get a knife or a spatula and cover one side of the sponge in the chocolate spread of your choice. Then roll up the Swiss roll, starting at one end of the rectangular sponge, making a nice swirl shape with the chocolate.
- Finally melt the 50g of plain chocolate in a bowl over simmering water on the hob and then coat the roll in the melted chocolate. Leave the roll in a cool place to let the chocolate on top to harden.
- Then slice off a piece and serve with a cup of tea!