Soda bread is a healthier alternative to normal bread but can be dry at times. Adding some flavoursome bacon and juicy fresh tomatoes really packs it out and makes for a great tasting sandwhich! Give it a try!
4 slices back bacon, chopped
4 spring onions, sliced
100g (4 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
450g (1 lb) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
284ml carton buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 220oC, gas mark 7.
- Fry the bacon, spring onions and tomatoes for 3-4 minutes and allow to cool.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Mix in the bacon mixture. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk. Using your hands lightly knead to form a dough which should be soft but not sticky. Mould into a large round loaf
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray and make a cross in the top with a knife. Bake for 30 minutes until golden and sounding hollow when tapped on the base.
- Slice and serve with leftover roast meat, ham or cheese.