Here’s a great dessert recipe with a cheeky adaptation. You can make your own pastry if you don’t fancy cheating, but it tastes almost as good and is a lot easier!
Get an adult to help you when melting the chocolate as the hot water could easily burn you if you’re not careful. If you’re worried, just use a microwave, but keep an eye on it to make sure that the chocolate doesn’t burn.
Difficulty Level: 2/5
- 20cm Flan Tin
- Heat-proof bowl
- 75g Softened Butter
- 75g Golden Caster Sugar
- 50g Self Raising Flour
- 75g Ground Almonds
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Apricot Jam
- 1 x 20cm Readymade Pastry
- 100g Milk Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50g White Chocolate, broken into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Put the butter, sugar, flour almonds, cocoa powder and egg into a large bowl.
3. Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon for 1 minute, then stir in the milk.
4. Roll out the pastry and press it into the base of the tin – make sure that there isn’t any pastry hanging over the side of the tin or the edges will burn.
5. Spread the apricot jam over the base of the flan case, then tip the creamed mixture over the top and level the surface.
6. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
7. Leave until completely cold.
8. Melt the milk chocolate in a heat-proof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water.
9. Pour the chocolate over the flan and spread out – Leave to set completely before continuing.
10. Melt the white chocolate in the same way, then use to make squiggles over the top of the flan.
11. Leave to set and then serve.